This is our third challenge over at Retro Rubber ChallengeBlog and for the next two weeks we will be working from the following challenge sketch.
The rules are simple! Use stamp images that you have had in your stash for more than a year and join the fun. (The blog will fill you in on the particulars!)
I recently had a birthday and requested a set of the new alcohol pens made by Chameleon. It seemed like forever before they finally arrived! But when they did I went right to work and practiced on this wonderful image! I have made many a Christmas card in the years I have been stamping and my favorite style has always been a modern twist on an Angel image. So this is no exception!
1. I started with the image from The Stamping Bug LLC and used that to determine the dimensions of the rest of my card. Since I knew I wanted to over stamp the image later, first I used StazOn Jet Black to stamp on an acrylic sheet using my StampLiner. I stamped the image on 3 ½ “ x 5” white card stock in Memento Tuxedo Black, a water based permanent ink that will not bleed when using alcohol inks.
2. I pulled out my trusty color wheel and went with a triad of colors for the main theme of the image. PR4 Purple Grape for the dress, GR3 Grass Green for the trim, and OR4 Seville Orange for the wings. The face and hands are NU1 Bisque, with PK3 for the cheeks. A little honesty here . . . I colored this image at least 10 times before I got the quality I wanted. Practice with a new tool is important!
3. The StampLiner allowed me to perfectly stamp the image again with Encore Silver and heat emboss with Creations Unlimited Silver Satin Pearl embossing powder. I choose an opaque embossing powder to make sure the black lines would not show through. The edges of the card were also inked and heat embossed.
4. The sentiment by Hero Arts seemed to overpower the image so I masked all but the “Joy” and inked the image with Encore Silver. Then I stamped the image on white card stock and die cut it with Spellbinders Opulent Ovals, then inked the edges. A pearlized card stock from Prima was a match to the orange, so the next size of Opulent Ovals was die cut and pressure embossed with the both dies.
5. The border is a combination of Spellbinders Scalloped Borders One, and 10 inches of Best Value Organdy sheer ribbon. I sprayed the ribbon with Fireworks Grape Jelly to give it just a hint of purple. Then I gathered it the old fashioned way with needle and thread before adhering.
6. The pearlized green card stock also by Prima was trimmed to 5 ¼ “ x 6 ¾” and then pressure embossed with Darice Flourish Corner.
7. The final embellishment is DCWV pearls that are colored with my new Chameleon pens to match the card. The layers are adhered with adhesive and dimension foam dots.
Thanks for coming by my little section of blog-land! Please come join us at Retro RubberChallenge Blog and play along with this sketch!
I would like to enter this card in the following challenges as well: