Sunday, November 9, 2014

Anything But a Card Anything Goes . . . Advent Calendar

Glad Tidings Advent Calendar

Advent Calendars are to be used in December, and this was a project I intended to create last fall!  Since I wanted it finished BEFORE December First it was the logical choice to create a Manger Scene Advent Calendar for the “Anything Goes” for Anything But A Card Challenge blog. 

Christmas is my favorite holiday, and celebrating Christ’s birth and all that means is a big part of our family Christmas.   Each drawer will contain a little surprise and a Bible verse that focuses on the Reason for the Season, Jesus!  

I must admit I have been VERY busy and finishing this wonderful project was my first goal; writing detailed how-to-steps may come at a later time.  For now a summary will suffice. 

The Advent Calendar is from Kaiser Craft and the assembly instructions are here.  A jaunt through the blog sphere yielded a few additional tips as well. 

My favorite inks are Tsukineko and are used throughout the project.   Memento Luxe Nautical Blue stained the entire MDF calendar and the inside of the drawers; used the first pad up and started a new one!  Memento Luxe Rich Cocoa was used to ink the wood grain embossed kraft paper.  Teresa Collins makes a new 8.5 x 12 embossing folder that made quick work of a embossing enough card stock for the barn.   The Manger image is from Stampendous and is stamped in Encore! Ultimate Metallic Satin Rose with the Christ Child highlighted with an ink blusher from the back with Memento Luxe Dandelion and Memento Dual Marker Dandelion in the halo on the front.    The palm tree image is an unmounted American Art Stamp and is stamped from the back of the image in Encore! Ultimate Metallic Honeydew.  The Imagine Crafts blue craft mat was handy to reverse the image so there are two versions of the palm tree.  The sand image is Posh Impressions and is stamped in Memento Luxe Rich Cocoa.  These images were embossed with clear embossing powder on vellum.   The starry sky is created with images from Sonlight, PSX, Neato Stuff, and Studio G and are stamped in Brilliance Galaxy Gold and embossed with Stamp-n Stuff Sahara Pearls.  The practice run for the scene ended up being perfect to decorate the fronts of the drawers and continue the scene.  The numbers were inked with Versa Magic Cloud White and double heat embossed with Sahara Pearls.  Spellbinders Radiant Rectangles has an oval that was used to die cut Vertigo from Imagine Crafts.  The Glad Tidings image is from Denami Design and is stamped in Memento Luxe Nautical Blue, this is where I discovered the first ink pad was well used!

I am thankful for the sanding block loaned by my husband that allowed me to prepare and assemble the MDF portion more quickly!  Alene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue made easy work of assembling the drawers and adding the numbers to the front.  Tombox Extreme Permanent Adhesive and Xyron Permanent adhesive were both used in covering the drawers with pearl card stock. 

Here are a few details:
 

A 3/4 circle punch was handy to punch perfect finger holes to match the opening in the drawers.


Metallic thread suspends the Glad Tidings image stamped on die cut Vertigo.    The Star over the Manager is from Sonlight Impressions.  

I hope that you enjoy the project, I had fun making it!  I just wish I had a little more time to share more details!  Living life some times prevents  extended time spent in the craft cave. 

Come play with us over at Anything But a Card and create something wonderful for this challenge of Anything Goes! 

16 comments:

  1. What a stunning advent calendar and I am thrilled that you managed to complete it as we can all enjoy it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lissette! It was a challenge with the family schedule as of late :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful , shimmery Advent calendar project that I know took lots of love and time to make . It is sure to be treasured by your family for many years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I went for the pearlized shimmer look with my choices of ink and vellum. I wanted to use colors that are not the traditional red & green. This was a time intensive project, but so worth it!

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty and what a wonderful idea, perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have it ready for this Advent season!

      Delete
  4. Lovely project.The manger scene looks awesome and I love what you did on each of the drawers.Those gold starts against the blue look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a few tries to get it to look exactly the way I wanted, hence the availability of sections for the drawers. :)

      Delete
  5. Amazingly fabulous! What a great little project. I remember the awesome advent calenders with the punch out paper pieces and the chalky little pieces of chocolate. You've brought me back in time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will avoid the chalky chocolate :) Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful idea, brilliantly executed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to share with the boys as we prepare for the Christmas season.

      Delete
  7. Hi Neva... I have always wanted to make an Advent calendar and I just might do that this year. I love how you are going to place a scripture in each box. I love that idea. The idea of putting the manger scene in the center is beautiful !!! If I get mine done I will send you a picture of it. Thanks for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaiser Craft has several two versions, but this one lends itself to my idea of centering it around the manger scene. Please share with me when you finish yours!

      Delete
  8. A gorgeous keepsake and one that can be used time and time again. I love how you've decorated all of the advent boxes. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, yes that is the plan to use it every year to remind our children why we celebrate Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make me smile to know you enjoy my creativity! Thank you!