Our rules are very simple! Use your Retro Rubber first of all and incorporate your Crimper in this project. We suggest stamps that have been in your stash at least a year. The blog will fill you in on the particulars HERE.
Now that we are past the holiday season, and I don’t have many birthdays to plan for it is time to get back to scrapping a few layouts. My son picked these photos out to share with his class last year and they have gone begging, so this was a perfect opportunity to scrap a layout and use my Fiskars crimper!
Back in the day before pressure embossing folders we had brass stencils and light boxes to add design and texture or the crimper. The crimper adds a corrugated cardboard look to a simple piece of card stock.
After a little experimenting, and looking at a strip of paper on my crafting table I decided on the design you see here.
|Close up detail|
1. Trim strips of card stock 1 ¼” x 4 ¼”. I started with five of each color, but ended up cutting one more of each to complete the design.
2. Crimper the card stock at a 45-degree angle.
3. Cut four strips of double-sided adhesive tape that has a protective paper on one side to 12 ½”; I used Pioneer Photo Memory Mounting Tape. Place at ¼”, 1 ¾”, 2 ¼’, and 3 ¾” (or in the positions shown below) and use magnets to hold in place on a magnetic mat.
4. Alternate card stock colors, butting up edges as shown. Because the crimper shapes the paper, it will no longer be square. Take care to line the corners to allow a straight edge when trimmed.
5. Trim the excess adhesive tape with scissors. Using a very sharp Xacto blade and a metal ruler, trim the edges to a straight line. Trim into two strips that are 12” long each.
6. If you are CASing this design I would suggest 14 ½” adhesive strips.
7. Stamp sentiments (Scrappy Cat Inspirations) in Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black and trim to size, and ink edges.
8. Journal as desired, I choose to print the journaling on my computer, trim and ink egdes.
9. Place elements on the layout and determine placement of title. Stamping directly on the layout can be challenging, but remember there is always the other side of the card stock if you do not like the first result! The font is Recollections Distressed Double Alphabet. I stamped the “Favorites” first then centered the “Oshkosh” above it using a centering ruler.
10. Adhere layout elements, and sign the back! I started doing this when I first started scrapping for my boys after they came home from Russia just over 5 years ago.
Please do come and join us at Retro Rubber Challenge Blog and play along with your unloved stamps and crimper tool!