Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Happy Birthday with Brads!


It is time to search through your brads and eyelete collection, yes all those wonderful little pieces you just had to have 8 to 10 years ago . . . and find the perfect embellishment for your Retro Rubber creation for our new challenge.



I did just that and found this ancient history layered flower brads (a little worn around the edges) and the sweet butterfly brad.  I can always use a few Birthday Cards in the stash so I was off and running to create something to highlight these fun brads with Retro Stamps.



I used the Fiskars Layer Away Variety stamps (around 8 years in my stash) for the dotted circles, and stamped them in Memento Cottage Ivy and Sweet Plum.  Next I die cut the center circle from the card.   Couldn’t resist a little texture, so I used Lifestyle Crafts Blooms embossing folder to pressure emboss just the front of the card.  Sonlight’s “Happy Birthday” is probably the first unmounted stamp I bought back in 1997 at the Labor Day Stamp Convention in Portland, Oregon.  So it is almost 20 years old!  It is stamped in Memento Luxe Elderberry and heat embossed with clear embossing powder on the inside of the card.   

The flower brads were a little shop-worn so I gave them a little love with my Chameleon pens in VO2 Mauve, VO4 Deep Violet, and GR2 Dark Sage.  The butterfly brad was silver, but with Dark Sage and Deep Violet pens a little color was added to spice it up to match the card.  After placing the brads I realized the front of the card needed to be stabilized a little to support the weight of the brads and compensate for the pressure embossing.  A piece of violet cardstock trimmed to fit inside the card and the center circle was die cut to allow the sentiment to show through then adhered into place. 

I had one more embellishment I found in the search of my stash, a butterfly paperclip.  A strip of paper ribbon is slipped through the clip and adhered into place to add a final touch to the inside of the card.  



Please come join us at Retro Rubber Blog Challenge and share your brad or eyelet decorated creation.  Do stop by and see all the lovely projects shared by the Design Team.


I would like to enter the following challenges:

11 comments:

  1. Neva this is gorgeous! I love the flower brads! This is such a great card design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute "retro" flowers for the retro rubber challenge! Love the colors you chose and the texture as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so fun! Great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipient will be one lucky person! All your special touches are so lovely. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to read every detail of this amazing card, Neva! Love that you colored your embellishments. It's the layering of all of your details that makes this card so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the flowers with the brad centres Neva and I am a big fan of your colour palette for this card. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, especially the purple and green together. So excited to be on the team with you at Retro Rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neva, I just love, love those brads, the butterflies are so pretty and look amazing around this circle you die cut to showcase your sentiment.
    The color combination of green and purple is always beautiful.
    Love the finished inside too.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Love the butterfly and pretty colors. Thanks for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card - the colors are excellent and then all the brads and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card! I love the embossing and those flowers. Thanks for playing along with us at Seize The Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make me smile to know you enjoy my creativity! Thank you!